Thursday 11 December 2014

Researching Magazine Cover Fonts

The magazine cover I make stands alone from the poster and teaser trailer that I create. This is because the poster and teaser trailer are part of the marketing campaign of the film, and therefore there would be similarities between the two, such as font. However, the only input the marketing campaign would have for their film on a magazine cover would be the selection of pictures they give to the magazine to put on their cover. They use their own fonts their own designs etc. Therefore, I need to choose a font for my magazine.

I studied various film magazines and found a pattern amongst them. The big, worldwide, film magazines, who have big interviews with the biggest stars, such as Total Film and Empire, have similar fonts. They are loud, sharp fonts. They are hard to miss, and reflect the size of the magazine. Smaller and local film magazines, ones that go under the radar, who focus on smaller and different aspects of the movies, such as Sight and Sound, have smaller, less 'out-there' fonts. This gave me a 
good insight into the marketing of magazines, and helped me find a suitable font for my magazine.







No comments:

Post a Comment